In term 1, Team Green sent a survey to all teachers to collect paper bins and recycling bins needs in each classroom. And we went around school to count the existent bins. We calculate that we needed 13 more paper bins and 4 recycling bins.
Paper4Trees kindly supplied the crates so today we delivered them. A nice way to finish a task and a term.
Well done Team! And Thank you to Paper4Trees!
Next term, we’ll set up our food waste and worm farm system. Exciting!
Have a well-deserved break.
Otago schools and preschools did a great job diverting paper and cardboard from landfill in 2016. They have:
- Diverted 311 tonnes of paper and cardboard from landfill
- Prevented 1,678 tonnes of carbon dioxide from being produced in landfill
- Saved 2,486 cubic metres of landfill space
- Earned 1,300 native trees thanks to the Paper4Trees Scheme.
We at MAC have earned 32 trees in 2016. We planted 16 and decided to carry over the other 16 to add to our 2017 earned trees and organise a school-wide planting event in 2018.
Keep up the good work with recycling!
Mount Aspiring College has earned 32 trees in 2016 thanks to our paper and cardboard recycling. We planted 16 on Friday lunchtime.
And Thank You everyone for recycling!
We will plant the other trees next year in a school wide event -we need 44 trees to have one per whanau for this event.
Last year our school recycled 60480 litres of paper and cardboard. This means our school saved:
- 7.75 tonnes of paper and cardboard from landfill
- 62 cubic metres of landfill space
- 42.78 tonnes of carbon emissions reduced from landfill
Thanks to Paper4Trees, we “earned” 31 trees which we will plant later this year.
Thanks to our school’s paper recycling efforts this year, MAC has earned 31 native trees through the Paper For Trees scheme. We will get an additional 13 trees kindly donated by Te Kakano nursery, so that all whanau groups at MAC can plant a tree again this year.
We will hold planting sessions during long whanau this Friday and next Friday.
- On Friday 16th October (Week 1) from 8:35-9:00am all whanau from Pisa and Barker houses will plant a tree each whilst whanau in Roy and Iron houses complete a Team Green Quiz which we have made.
- On Friday 23rd October (Week 2) during long whanau, Roy and Iron houses will be planting trees whilst Pisa and Barker whanau complete the quiz.
The quiz is a house competition. And the winning whanau (most correct answers) will receive a prize.
Thank you to our sponsor Ziptrek!
Thank you to Paper4Trees
Thank you to Ziprek who sponsors our trees
Ziptrek is a Queenstown adventure activity that allows to ride tree-to-tree by flying foxes. It is famed for delivering an awareness and appreciation of the natural environment along with a good dollop of adrenaline. http://www.ziptrek.com/queenstown-new-zealand
Thank you to Te Kakano who provided the trees